Thursday, May 26, 2011

Healthy Recipes?

I'm a little bit bored with cooking lately & want to get back to healthier eating, so I'm in search of some new healthy dinner recipes.  I've been checking out these sites (thanks Heather!), and I can't wait to try some of these recipes - http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes.aspx and http://eatingcleanrecipes.com.   Would really love to have links to your favorite healthy recipes to try out too!  


Here's a link to one of my favorite summer healthy recipes "Quinoa and Black Beans"...  http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/Detail.aspx.   


You can get quinoa at any natural foods store.  It's a grain from South America that's high in protein, so it makes a good meat substitute.  I love to add a squeeze of lime & chopped avocado to this recipe.  It's also really good with our family's homemade salsa recipe & baked tortilla chips.  Here's the salsa recipe (it's really quick & easy to make)...



Uncle David's Salsa

2 large cloves fresh garlic
1-2 fresh jalapenos, halved
½ small purple onion, quartered
¼ - ½ bunch of fresh cilantro, ends of stems removed
Two 28oz. cans whole tomatoes, drain off most liquid
1 Tbs. sea salt
1 Tbs. + 2 tsp. white vinegar

·     I’ve adjusted the original recipe a little to our taste.  You can play with the measurements of the jalapenos & cilantro to get it how you like it.  (I use 1 ½ jalapenos & ½ a bunch of cilantro since we like lots of flavor). 

·     In a food processor, finely mince the garlic & jalapenos.  Add the onion & cilantro & process until finely chopped.  Pour mixture into a large pot.

·     Then, pour the first can of tomatoes into the food processor (I drain off most of the liquid, because I don’t like the salsa too runny.  You can reserve a little of the liquid to get it to the consistency you like).  Process each can of tomatoes until desired consistency (fine or chunky).  Add to the pot with onion mixture. 

·      Add the salt & vinegar.

·      Stir salsa well and simmer on medium-low heat for 15 minutes.  Cool.  Keep refrigerated.  





Enjoy!  Please email or comment with your favorites!  :)

2 comments:

Missy said...

This are a couple of my family's faves (don't you love allrecipes?)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mulligatawny-Soup-I/Detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Kale-Chips/Detail.aspx

Liz and Josh said...

Thanks everyone for all of the recipes you emailed & posted. Can't wait to try them all!

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers