This weekend I decided I wanted to start learning how to cook Ethiopian food. So, I looked online for good reviews on authentic recipes and then went to Ozark Natural Foods to attempt to find all of the spices needed. And there are a TON of spices! I wanted to make “doro wat” which is a yummy Ethiopian chicken dish with red pepper paste. I want to clarify that I'm not a gourmet kind of cook. I just followed the recipe. :)
The kitchen smelled so good as I was toasting the spices. I could really smell the cinnamon and cardamom in the dish. The meal took a long time to prepare and cook, but the experience was well worth it. As I was going through all of the steps to make the doro wat, I kept thinking how long this would take to make this traditional dish by hand. No pre-packaged chicken, food processors or spice grinders. It would be a real labor of love.
Here are a few pictures of the steps in making the berberé paste, nitter kibbeh and doro wat. I made the full recipes for the berberé paste & nitter kibbeh and put the leftovers in ziplock bags in the freezer, so next time I won’t have the added steps of making these. Below, I’ve posted the links to the recipes & the small changes that I made (to make it a little more kid-friendly for the boys). We served the doro wat with naan bread, but it’s traditionally eaten with injera. We didn’t have teff flour to make injera, but the naan worked great. We all loved it, so this one will be a keeper. I can’t wait for the day when I can teach our daughter how to make many more recipes like this!
Berberé Paste (Ethiopian Red Pepper Spice Paste)
o Omitted the red pepper flakes
o Used ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
Niter Kibbeh (Ethiopian Spiced Clarified Butter)
o Used 2/3 cup EVOO & 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter (instead of full butter)
Doro Wat (Ethiopian Chicken In Red Pepper Paste)
o Homemade the berberé paste and niter kibbeh
o Used chicken thighs
o Did not add additional cayenne pepper


4 comments:
Liz, That looks awesome!! Yum! I cant believe you found all the spices. Way to go! Can't wait to try it.
wow, impressive Liz! Looks yummy, thanks for posting the links, I am anxious to try some of this. Sorry we didn't connect the other night, missed talking to you! Maybe we can get together for a playdate soon?!?! Hope all is well.
Yummy! We have been making homemade naan bread a lot lately, the kids love it! I think you and your sweetie girl will need matching apron for your cooking lessons!
I am totally impressed! Can you please disciple me in this area of cooking? Boy, I will need some help!
Post a Comment